The Canticle

The Canticle Game Blog | Created By Www.BestTheme.Net

Followers

Google+ Followers

Networked Blogs

Follow by Email

About Me

Questions or comments?

Reading Profiles

View my Shelfari profile

View my GoodReads profile

View my JacketFlap profile

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

View My Writing Portfolio

Twitter Feed

Gospel Ideals

I Write for GospelIdeals.org

Kindlegraph

I used Grammarly to grammar check this post, because I got two writing genes and no editing genes. 

Taking Care of Your Pets
All of us have "pet words" or "pet phrases". Want to know what they are? Ask someone to read your manuscript, and they will probably be able to tell you. You may not even know that you are using them, but like a beloved pet, they come to you time and time again as long as you keep feeding them.

Pet words and phrases can be distracting. For example, I was listening to a book on tape once and noticed how many times the author used the word "commented" instead of "said" or something else. For fun, I picked up the sequel as an audio book and kept a running total of how many time the author used "commented" or one of its forms. Total: 70 times. Now, everyone has their different tastes, but I think "commented" is something that should show up in a novel once or twice, if at all. Those are a lot of syllables to talk about sound coming out of someone's mouth.

Now, I only point this out as a good example. I'm guilty of things like this as well. Here's my list of top offenders:


Just
Well
That and
Seemed
Even
Begin
Began
Such
Being
Got 

Many of these words are filler words and should be used sparingly anyway.  I keep a document of these words and any others I find and do a search of them in my manuscripts. I then look and see if I can get the overall total down, which usually sharpens my writing. 

What words do you find yourself overusing? How else can you cut down on them? 

Total Pageviews