The Canticle

The Canticle Game Blog | Created By Www.BestTheme.Net

Followers

Networked Blogs

About Me

Questions or comments?

Reading Profiles

View my Shelfari profile

View my GoodReads profile

View my JacketFlap profile

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

View My Writing Portfolio

Twitter Feed

Gospel Ideals

I Write for GospelIdeals.org

Kindlegraph


Exclaimed, Declared, Trumpeted, Gushed, Enthused!
These are all different tags I’ve seen on manuscripts I’ve edited. Personally, I wouldn’t use any of them. I’m not saying that you couldn’t get away with using them, but the problem is that they draw attention to themselves in a way that you don’t want them to. They say to the reader “Look, this a novel! Look at my creative description of the dialogue!”
Dialogue tags are there just as nuts and bolts. They clear up confusion and hold things together. Let the way that the character’s speak, and what they do convey the tone of speech. For example:
“I’m so angry,” thundered Steve’s boss.
vs.
“Steve, how could you?” said Steve’s boss, grabbing him by the lapels.
It’s the old adage of showing not telling. Trust your readers to pick up on these cues. They will quickly get lost in your story rather than noticing how much a character “gushes and enthuses.”

Total Pageviews