The Canticle

The Canticle Game Blog | Created By Www.BestTheme.Net

Followers

Networked Blogs

About Me

Questions or comments?

Reading Profiles

View my Shelfari profile

View my GoodReads profile

View my JacketFlap profile

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

View My Writing Portfolio

Twitter Feed

Gospel Ideals

I Write for GospelIdeals.org

Kindlegraph



I always look forward to November each year for more reasons than Thanksgiving. Though I am a sucker for turkey and stuffing, I also love watching my word counts skyrocket as I take part in National Novel Writing Month.  (NaNoWriMo for short) For the uninitiated, during NaNoWriMo, writers seek to write 50,000 words in 30 days, which is the length of a short novel.

I’ve participated in NaNoWriMo for three years, and I’ve improved every year. My first year, I barely squeaked by on the 30th, the next year I hit the goal on the 25th, and this year I took a huge leap forward in finishing on the 17th

This got me to thinking—why couldn’t every month be like NaNoWriMo? If I can do in November, what makes it impossible in January or July? The answer for me is: nothing. I just try harder in November to work hard and minimize distractions because I have a firm target.

With that in mind, I want to set a very high goal this year: I literally want to make every month like NaNoWriMo. I think I’ll call it National Novel Writing Year (or NaNoWriYe) for short. I want to write 50,000 per month for every month in 2012 for a grand total of 600,000 words.

To put that in perspective that’s about two installments of Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” series.  It is much more than I have ever written, but I think that I can do it. I am serious in my commitment to writing, and I think this will be a formative year in my career.

I’m sure that many full-time authors can easily pull of this feat.  However, I’m working a full-time job, have a wife and two kids, and a very busy schedule with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  I hope that in doing this, I can inspire others who have busy lives to see that they can still fit writing into their schedules.

I have also decided that I want to take it a step further. Many runners run to raise money for charity. I thought I would go ahead and write for charity instead. To help out, you can pledge an amount, however small, for every month’s worth of words I write (every 50,000 words). That means, if you pledge $1, and I reach my goal, you would donate $12 to charity. In this case, I have selected the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) in honor of a good friend who suffers from this disease. 

To pledge an amount, fill out the form below. All you need is a full name and email address.  I will then send you an invoice through PayPal at the end of the challenge for the proper amount. I will be taking charity suggestions from my readers to figure out where the money should go.  I won’t keep a dime.
Anyone else up to the challenge? I’m excited and already a little tired just thinking about it. Luckily, I have several full novel outlines ready to hash out, and I’ll be giving constant updates here on my blog throughout the year. 

In this season of giving, I encourage you all to think of ways to spread the abundance we all have been given.  Have a happy and blessed Holiday Season. 


Total Pageviews